Sunday, October 31, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness

I always look forward to weekends, when we have more leisurely time in the mornings and have some time with the kids.

Now, hubby and the 2 boys Uaua & Titi went to MIL for a haircut while Noah & Momoi is still in lala-land. So I'm left with an opportunity to write my weekend experience.

Yesterday, I went to the Breast Cancer public forum organised by the Kinabalu Pink Ribbon. Yes, we do have support group for breast cancer patients and I think we need more support group like this for other terminal diseases as well. I know I need a lot of help when my late mom was sick and sometimes even doctors can't help much which perhaps support group like this can offer assistance and advice.

Anyway, there are few things I find from the forum which are interesting...

1. Men can get breast cancer too and men need to do Breast Self examination as well. And if men got breast cancer they usually die very fast because it's usually late stage when it appears as skin rash on the breast.

2. Control your diet. Being fat can change your body to produce more female hormone and this can put you high risk of getting breast cancer.

3. Breast cancer is not a preventable disease. The only way make sure that you do not have breast cancer is through regular self exam and screening.

4. Anyone can get breast cancer (as young as 17 yrs old).

5. You are also high risk of getting breast cancer if you are a smoker or a drinker, a woman, fat/obese, never or given birth after the age 35, never breast-feed.

6. Breast cancer is the top leading cancer affecting women in Malaysia.

The moral of the forum - Love yourself & love your breast. Start doing regular breast examination. I myself got lumps while I was pregant and will go and get it checked again. Huh.. it really got me scared. Especially when someone I knew (a relative and a friend) just died of breast cancer 3 days ago. It really saddens me and may her soul rest in peace. It is true breast cancer doesn't only affect the sufferer but also the family and society.

1 comment:

Kinbalu Pink Ribbon said...

Hye ..

I'm so glad that u learn a lot from the forum that we organized ..

so worth of time and effort + tiredness of organizing this forum .. :p ..